Marisole Monday: Boldly Going…

Thumbnail link image printable paper doll{Click Here for a PDF to Print} {Click Here for a PNG to Print} {Click Here for the rest of this series}

Blame my mother.

This is all her fault.

She is the reason I love Star Trek and part of the reason I love paper dolls. When I was a child, I was allowed to stay up half an hour later with her to finish watching Star Trek: The Next Generation if my teeth were brushed and I was in my nightgown. When I was in middle school, I started watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Recently, I have begun to watch the original series on DVD from the library. In short, I am a bit of a Trekkie- though I like to think a fairly harmless one.

I am sure true die-hard Trekkies could tell me everything that I got wrong on these paper dolls, but I can’t really be bothered to care. I will say this though- finding a decent reference photograph for the shoes worn by those characters was a pain in the behind and I’m still not sure I got them right. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Feet are not often shown in television episodes.

I heard somewhere (trustworthy source that) that there was a rule in Star Trek that you weren’t supposed to show any fasteners. I don’t really get why. I mean, lacing up clothing has been done for centuries, not to mention buttons. I figure people would hard pressed to invent a better system, but I suppose it does subtly convey the sense of “futuristic” in an interesting way.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Marisole Monday: Boldly Going…

1. Sara says:

Sweet! Thanks Rachel’s Mom!

All the modern series had a thing for there being no boots visible. The pant leg would go down smoothly into the shoe. I remember seeing a TV guide with Jadzia Dax and 7 of 9 in a fold out, full body shot. On both their costumes the pant leg was seamless with the shoe. The same went for TNG. TOS had boots though; sexy, sexy go-go boots. I love TOS =)

Yes, eventually I found a photo of someone crouching and I realized the pants were actually split up the front to accommodate the shoes. Total pain in the behind, but at least I got to put my library degree to work doing research. :)

2. Twizzler says:

Is it my imagination, or is the red haired doll’s head tilted in the opposite direction from all the other Marisol dolls?

It is not your imagination, Twizzler. The redheaded “Bajoran” paper doll has her head turned the other direction from the rest of the Marisole dolls so that she could show off the Bajoran earring which otherwise wouldn’t be visible. This trick was pulled off through the power of photoshop. I’m not totally pleased with how it looks, so I doubt I’ll do it again, but yes- she is facing the other way from the rest of the Marisole dolls.

4. Sarah Boye says:

I <3 you! :)

5. Rachel says:

I love all your doll sets but I have to say, this one is my FAVORITE! You rock! Thanks tons, I’ll be spreading the word.

6. Toni says:

Love, love, LOVE!!! Watching TNG season 7 right now!!!

7. anna says:

I’ve just been re-watching The Next Generation on Netflix, and you can often see where the invisible zippers split the fronts of their jumpsuits…so much for no fasteners…

8. Edee Surrell says:

Love, love, love this!
    What a treat! Star Trek AND paper dolls!
    I am loving this!
    Good job!
    EJ

9. Pingback: 101 Pretty Printables {free}

10. Pingback: paperpolaroid

11. Pingback: FUN! 101 Free Printables | chickinspired

12. Pingback: Hello to all of you freebie junkies |

13. Vicki says:

awesome.
    live long and prosper.
    xoxo

14. trekkie says:

star trek & paper dolls. the perfect combination. found star trek episodes online free at startrek.com

Yes, I confess to also having a love of Star Trek and, obviously, of paper dolls. :) I’ve been thinking of doing and Alien Races sequel with a Klingon and a Cardassian.

15. Pingback: Digital Downloads « { love is in the details }

16. Pingback: Freebie Friday! | A. Meyer Photography

17. Eilonvi says:

let me just say – wow!

18. Pingback: A Design Lounge

*gasp* They have a red shirt!!! Whoever has a red shirt always dies!!!!!